GQL Replaced by BusinessObjects
BusinessObjects replaced GQL as
the University-supported data reporting tool. Support for GQL ended
on September 30, 2001.
- BusinessObjects universes (interfaces) are available for all
data sets in the U-M Data Warehouse: M-Pathways, legacy, and Development/Alumni
- All central predefined GQL queries have been converted to BusinessObjects
- All GQL interfaces were officially retired on September
GQL Support Ended
The license that the University has distributed for GQL 4.1.1 will
never expire, so users can continue to use GQL for as long as they
wish, just as some users already query the data sets using BrioQuery,
Paradox, and other tools. However, technical and user support, upgrades,
and installations of any GQL applications must be handled at the
Current GQL users who want to continue using it as their query
tool need to consider the following changes in support and make
provisions accordingly for their ongoing use of GQL.
- U-M's maintenance agreement with the GQL vendor has ended. The
University receives no vendor support and will not distribute
upgrades to the software. Units that plan to continue to use GQL
software (GQL Update/User, GQL Admin, or GQL Designer) can purchase
maintenance and upgrades. Contact the ITS Software Licensing
and Distribution group at firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information.
- The ITS Help Desk no longer provides support for GQL, and ITS
no longer provides GQL training.
- ITS stopped maintaining the current GQL diagrams on March 1,
2001. These diagrams do not include any updates to the data sets
following that date.
- Users who have built their own GQL interfaces for departmental
or local data sets are responsible for maintaining those interfaces.