ITS Administrative Computing



System Overviews


Submit a service request online

ITS Service Center - Administrative Computing

Service Center support is available for the services and systems administrative systems and applications managed by Information and Technology Services (ITS). The Service Center can give you information about consulting and onsite support options offered by ITS.

On This Page:

Service Center Contact Information and Hours

  • Hours of Operation:
    Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
    Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. (e-mail only)

    ITS Service Center offers more than 10 additional hours of support to campus with new hours of operation.
  • Phone: 734-764-4357 (4-HELP). The prompts for the 4-HELP phone number changed on March 13, 2011 to:
    1. Administrative and General Computing Support
      (ex: any administrative system, HEProd, FINProd, eResearch, Concur, Reporting, CTools, e-mail, wireless, etc.)
    2. Access and Accounts
      (ex: Kerberos, Citrix, and Oracle passwords; MToken; MyLINC; Online Access Request System (OARS); uniqname creation; etc.)
    3. Computing Sites
    4. ITS Comm Repair
    5. ITS Comm Customer Service
    6. Education Services
  • E-Mail:
    (When sending an e-mail message, please include your name, department, phone number, uniqname, and a detailed description of the problem or service request.)
  • Web requests
    (When sending a request, please be sure to include complete information about your issue or question.)
  • Observed Holidays: Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday, December Holidays

Interactive Shadow Tool

The Interactive Shadow Tool enables consultants to provide staff using ITS-supported applications with Web-based remote support, also known as "shadowing."

Other Help Resources

Phone #
My LINC (Learning & Information Center)
If you want to register for HRD classes online or are looking for M-Pathways, U-M Data Warehouse, and eRecruit training -- eLearning courses, step-by-step documents, overviews, FAQs
HR/Payroll Service Center
If you have questions related to your employment, benefits, paycheck, or filling out HR paperwork
MCIT (Medical Center Information Technology)
If you need help with Novell, GroupWise, CareWeb or another Hospital-specific application (site is not accessible outside U-M Health System)
Campus Information Centers (4-INFO)
If you are looking for any U-M information
Wolverine Access FAQ
If you have questions related to Wolverine Access
Accounts Payable, Travel, P-Card, Purchasing
If you have questions about business processes that are specific to Procurement transactions