Targeted Data Requests
A targeted data request service is available to U-M faculty and staff who need information about a specific group of students, faculty, or staff members, such as undergraduate students or emeritus faculty.
- Electronic files or printed labels can be provided for requests for names and addresses
- E-mail messages can be sent to the defined group, containing text provided by the requester.
Authorization for targeted data requests is granted by University Human Resources (UHR) for faculty and staff data and by the Office of the Registrar (RO) for student data.
Policies Concerning the Use of the Targeted Data Service
- The data must be used only for official University business.
- Use and handling of the data must comply with the University's Proper Use Policy and standards imposed by UHR or the RO. Also refer to the Standard Practice Guide, 601.12 Institutional Data Resource Management Policy.
- The recipients must need the information.
- If data will be used for research purposes, Institutional Review Board approval documentation is required.
Guidelines for E-mail Messages
- Messages can be sent to U-M groups, departments, units, and campuses.
- Information in the e-mail message must be time-critical.
- Message text must be clear, brief, and to the point.
- Message text should be no longer than two screens. To convey more information, consider referring recipients to another source, such as a Web page, for the details.
- Message text should include contact information (e-mail or phone) where further inquiries can be directed.
- No advertising, promotions, information about campus events, or other "nice-to-know" messages will be authorized.
- For e-mail with links to surveys or forms that request personal and identifiable information: Please follow these security best practices.
How to Request Targeted Data
Use the appropriate form in the following list to make a request. All forms require that you enter your uniqname and Kerberos (UMICH) password.
Note: If you have been logged in to
an application that uses the Single Login Server, such as Wolverine Access or MyLINC, you will need to close your browser and reopen it to access the forms below.
Request Fulfillment Schedule and Other Information
Depending on the complexity of the request, requests for faculty and staff or student data will be processed in 3-5 business days. Currently, there is no charge for this service.
For urgent requests, please call the ITS Service Center at 764-HELP (734-764-4357). Ask for assistance with an urgent targeted email and leave your phone number with the agent on the phone. A staff member who can assist with your request will respond within 30 minutes.
Note: Please be aware that due to the manual nature of creating custom targeted email lists that errors in targeted email recipients are very unlikely, but possible.